Opening Doors with JSON Web Tokens
Let's connect our front door to the internet! What could possibly go wrong? Securing IoT is hard, and the last thing we want to do is let some stranger in!
Let's take a step back and consider other ways of securing that door, and granting access remotely. Can we do this without connecting your door to the internet? Can we adhere to common protocols and data formats throughout?
In this talk, you will learn how:
- JSON Web Tokens can be used to transmit credentials to an air-gapped device;
- to allow someone to grant remote access;
- to apply this theory to other IoT devices; and
- this theory can help even in IoT devices that need direct internet access.
The talk includes a live door demo.
- No special previous knowledge necessary
- To think about how we secure IoT devices
- To understand authentication flows, and which to choose for what purpose.